Wednesday, June 9, 2010

GOING HOME

The excitement of going home has always been high on my part. I have been in hostel for the past four years, and yet the thought of going home creates similar sparks in my mind as it used to 4 years back. Before I came to live in hostel for my undergraduate course, I seldom did stay without my parents. Perhaps an occasional visit to my uncle, or the Astronomy Olympiad, just few specific occasions worth remembering. Initially I was quite apprehensive about my stay in hostel, but I didn’t have any other option. But, what I eagerly awaited was the vacations, and I used to rush home at every little chance I got. What surprised me the most was the fact that many of my batch mates didn’t associate pleasure with vacations. For them, vacations symbolized boredom. It was because they didn’t have much to do at their home. For them going home meant spending lazy afternoons watching TV. For them home meant no play, no fun, and no chit chats with friends……plain boredom. But that was definitely not my case. And it was mostly because I had spent my life as a kid beside my mother. I wasn’t the outgoing kind of guy. I was rather a shy guy who used to spend his whole day inside the small house. You can very well call me an introvert. So majority of my time was spent with my mother. My mother and I share a great rapport which seldom kids share nowadays. I was the only friend to my mother and so was she. We used to talk throughout the day. We talked about everything in life. It mostly revolved around our family, about human psychology, about theology, about her feelings, about my feelings, about relationships, about music and anything under the roof. And these small talks laid the great foundation of my character. These small chit chats helped me grow as a person. These talks helped me understand human nature. These talks helped me embrace life as it is. The importance of the talk was not just to me, it was equally important to mother as well. I was her counselor and whenever in doubt, she used to take my advice. This not only boosted her morale but also helped in building up my confidence in decision making. We still talk for hours over the phone and she still seeks my advice on important matters and I still ask her for guidance when in doubt. And I’m still very excited by the sheer fact that I am bound home.

No comments:

Post a Comment